Entertainment. Turistic Spots.

  Museo Penitenciario Argentino

Designed by architect Antonio Masella, the building dates from 1760. Originally, it was the House of Spiritual Exercises for men. When the Jesuits were expelled in 1767, the place passed onto the Cabildo. Later and up to 1974, it functioned as a Women’s Jail in charge of the Good Shepherd's Order and the Penitentiary Service. When this Order retires in 1974, the Penitentiary is still in charge up to 1978 when the Women’s Jail is transferred to the town of Ezeiza. The interior of the building holds the chapel of Nuestra Señora del Camen, a construction from 1734.

Comments